Make a formal complaint

Most issues can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they happen and with the person involved. This may be what you try first.

If you cannot resolve the issue this way, you can make a formal complaint.

Who can make a complaint

If you're a registered patient you can make a complaint about your own care.

You can complain on behalf of someone else if you have their written consent.

When to make a complaint

It’s best to make a formal complaint within a few days of the incident. This makes it easier to confirm what happened.

If that’s not possible, you should make the complaint either:

  • within 6 months of the incident
  • within 6 months of discovering you have a problem, so long as it's within 12 months of the incident

How to make a complaint

You can make your complaint:

  • in person, ask to speak to Philip Jackson, Practice Manager, or Megan Wood, Operations Manager.
  • in writing, include as much information as you can and send to the surgery, addressed to Philip Jackson, Practice Manager and Megan Wood, Operations Manager.

What happens next

We’ll let you know we’ve received your complaint within 3 working days.

Within 30 working days, we aim to offer either:

  • an explanation
  • a meeting with the people involved

If the situation is particularly detailed, it may take longer than 30 days.

What we look at

We aim to:

  • find out what happened and why
  • help you talk to the people involved, if you want
  • make sure you receive an apology, where appropriate
  • what we can learn so it does not happen again

Get help

Before you start

Before you make your complaint, you can get support and advice from North East NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA). ICA can help you put your complaint in writing or can come along to a meeting with you.

Call ICA on 0808 8023000

If you do not want to make your complaint with us

If you do not want to make your complaint with us, or you're unhappy with the way we're dealing with it, you can talk to NHS England.

NHS England give confidential advice and support. They can help you to sort out any concerns you have about the care we give. They can also guide you through the services available from the NHS.

Contact NHS England:

  • by letter - you can write to them at “For the attention of the Complaints Team”, NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT
  • on the phone, on 0300 311 22 33
  • by email

Health Service Ombudsman

You can also contact the Health Service Ombudsman. They may be able to look further into your complaint.

Complain on behalf of someone else

To complain for someone else you need a signed note from them, unless they cannot give this because of illness.

This process is in place because we keep to strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.

Help us get it right

We constantly try to improve the service we offer. Please let us know when you think we have done something well, or if you have any suggestions as to how we can do something better.